Saturday 31 January 2009

“There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction”

So, the new semester's started, and there's some changes coming this way. First off, I'm moving out, away from the host family I've been staying with, and into to the dorms. This is at the same time a sad and happy tiding, but I believe it to be a necessary and good step in my program. Betty and I discovered that my social life was gravitating away from her house and in to the dorms. In short, I figured I was spending so much time there I might as well get myself a bed. They are way more comfortable then the chairs I spent nights in, in rooms not my own.

I haven't been doing a whole lot of interesting stuff since California. Classes are progressing normally, Chinese is hard, my algebra class is ridiculously easy (come on people, linear equations? It's a flashback to year one of my Vossius career), but getting more interesting every class. On the free time side of things, there's the regular multi player starcraft sessions like always (needless to say, I can kick the asses of a lot, but not everyone in the dorms. Ulukman is like a machine, unbelievable). Also, I've started to play the old Diablo games in anticipation of Diablo 3. While the original will get old in a matter of minutes, Diablo 2 is definitely a time-sucker. I recommend it to anyone who wants to play a good old hack-n-slasher.

The other thing soaking up my time (what I have left after taking off my social life) is Stargate: Atlantis. I have come into the possession of all five seasons of this sci-fi show. I watched the older Stargate: SG-1 a few years ago, and it was pretty good. Atlantis is a step up, however. I can recommend this series to anyone who is lamenting the absence of new, good star trek shows, and also fans of sci-fi in general. This is stuff worth watching.

So, tomorrow is move day. I do not know my room yet, but my roommate will most likely be Kersten, who is also moving out of Betty's house. We will still visit them of course, and call regularly. But it'll be a new and exciting semester.

Today's quote is from Winston Churchill. Couldn't find anything better, sorry.

No comments: